Gary Carter: My Lasting Memory

There are far better people to eulogize Gary Carter, and I'm even watching a video tribute to The Kid as I type this. Just listening to his positivity, humility, and playful attitude is very uplifting, and I'm certain he touched a number of lives.

I became a Mets fan in 1985 at the age of 8, mostly because my dad was a fan. I studied the team vigilantly in 85 and 86, knowing the line up inside and out. Carter was among my favorite players. I lived and died with that team, seemingly my whole world hinging on their success. My Gary Carter lasting memory, as a die hard Mets fan, is no doubt the 1986 World Series, game 6. Gary Carter started the magic! The Mets found themselves down 5-3 in the bottom of the 10th inning. Bad turned to worse as Wally Backman and Keith Hernandez quickly flied out. It was over to almost all Met fans, but not for 9 year old me. My mother would later tell me that during that tenuous 10th (which she watched with me) that she was trying to figure out how to tell me it was over. Then Gary Carter started the magic. He would later say that he still had a lot of confidence heading into that at bat. Most players in that situation have fairly paltry efforts, but Carter laced a line drive base hit to left. Kevin Mitchell and Ray Knight followed with hits, then Mookie came up and we all know the rest.

Gary Carter was clearly the best catcher of his era, and most certainly befitting of the Hall of Fame. He touched many people with his spirit, as a teacher, and for me by starting the magic.

0 comments:

Copyright © 2012 FOR BASEBALL JUNKIES.